Thursday, May 28, 2009

WE LOVE BIKE DAY!


"My only regret is that I did not take a picture to commemorate the morning..."

Wow
Wow...is the only word I can use to sum up the events at the Strate home this morning.



Devin left for Cardwell (yes, Cardwell finally had work) at 6:00AM. I woke up 15 minutes late, 6:45 and showered. Kodi came upstairs as I was getting out of the shower and had to use the facilities, so I excused myself to get dressed and told her to come downstairs and change as soon as she finished in the bathroom. I was able to get dressed, gather her clothes and make it back upstairs without any sign of her.

*Side Note: As a parent, you just have a feeling when your kid has done, or is doing something that they shouldn't be doing - especially when they've been too quiet for too long.

I entered the bathroom to find Kodi still sitting on the toilet with her hair somewhat molded into something that any child of the 80's would have compared to a fantastically close version of a Cindy Lauper "up-do" (minus the hot pink color of course). It was lovely to say the least - completely *saturated* with what was left of my can of hair mouse.

Of course her hands were too sticky to wipe herself, so there she sat just waiting till I came back up to rescue her. Did I mention that I had already overslept by 15 minutes at this point?
After a significant clean-up, I had her follow me around and stand next to me as I finished getting ready. Repeat: Stand next to me, not touch, move, lean on anything, or speak.

Exiting the house with my hair barely blown dry, I swept Kodi up and packed her out to the car; with 10 minutes before I am supposed to be at work.

We make the drive to Springville, it takes till we pull up in front of the sitter before I finally unwind. Driving up to the drop-off zone in front of the sitter, I reach into the backseat to unbuckle Kodi's seat belt and realize something that most people are already aware of by 8:00AM: the day of the week.

It is Thursday. I don't have to be to work till 9 on Thursdays **sigh**, I'm going to make it! I am not late, infact, I am pretty darn early.

As I come to this realization, Kodi says, "MOM WE FORGOT MY BIKE, IT'S BIKE DAY AT PRESCHOOL!" So, leaving her seat belt buckled I climb back into the car and turn around; this time, heading in the direction of home.

The entire drive back home I was thinking to myself..."WE didn't forget, YOU neglected to tell me it was BIKE DAY", the sitter neglected to post a flyer or send a note home specifying that it was bike day. How did any of the other parents know to bring their kids bike?
(Forget the fact that the Preschool publishes a calendar at the beginning of each month and I may have forgotten to look at it...)

After the 10 minute drive back to the house, I open the garage, throw her bike in the trunk, run her in the house, and change her skirt and flipflops to jeans and Cowgirl boots because she has indicated to me that anything less then a cowgirl getup will simply not suffice.

We successfully made the drive BACK to sitter. The entire ride, Kodi repeats 9 times how she is "tired of driving and wants to get out of the car."

Well guess what kid?!? I am tired of being the mom today!
so we both get to be miserable!

I got the bike out of the trunk and carried it over to where her class was riding their bikes on a paved part of the parking lot. All the kids stopped and were in awe that Kodi had a two-wheeler. Kodi's Dad has been working with her and has taught her how to ride a two-wheeler without training wheels . There are only two other kids in her class of 15 which possess this ability.
The pride in Kodi's eyes, and smile on her face as she rode around and showed her friends her newly acquired skill was - PRICELESS. The admiration they showed toward her wiped all of the mornings frustration out of my mind, she had showed me in 3 seconds why bike day was so important.

I did make it to work, and got there by 9:00AM!


1 comment:

Teri said...

I wish I could write like you!! Cute story.